Friday, March 6, 2009

Too much time on my hands...


   I've been on the national unemployment list for one month last Wednesday, and I guess my brother in law is right. I have too much time on my hands. I have been enjoying it too. 

   For the last 10 years or so, I have averaged working about 50 to 55 hours a week, and up until a year ago, worked just about every holiday and holiday eve. When I did get a day off it was usually spent doing family things and chores. The vacations went by fast also. They were always spent camping or doing "house" things like remodeling the kitchen. There was not always a lot of extra shop time to spend on those little tool projects just for yourself. 

   I've always admired wooden mallets in catalogues, but could never bring myself to buy one. I always figured 'hell, I could make one of those myself'. Well sure enough, I was right. I have had an extra piece of hickory laying around since the kitchen remodel, for which I built a roll around island for extra counter space for holiday hosting. I was bored this week and one of the library books I had, had a plan for a mallet. The hickory seemed perfect. I made one pretty much to the size called for, and didn't realize until the handle was installed, how really big it was. It was more like a mace than a mallet. So back to the drawing board and a little downsizing later, and I had a second mallet of a more reasonable size. 

   All I have to do now is find something that needs whacked. Maybe I'll build a timber frame dog house.

 

1 comment:

naomi said...

If too much time on your hands means nice project and beautiful photos, i say it's a good thing!